Polycystic Kidney Disease and Phosphorus

I am a 50 year old female with PKD. I’m told my phosphorus is ‘off the charts’ and I must stop eating all dairy, nuts, bean products, and little to no meat (protein). My nephrologist prescribed Renvela 800 MG tablets, twice daily with a meal. I am struggling to find foods I can eat and stick to this new diet. I love milk but do not know if Almond or Coconut milk is safe to try. I recognize soy is off limits since it is a bean. I welcome all nutrition recommendations as I’m starving and don’t want to eat bad foods. I love my fruits and veggies but I worry some are unacceptable, i.e., strawberries, due to seeds. I don’t think I can even enjoy my sesame bagel, as I believe seeds are also off limits. Is this accurate?
You need the assistance of a qualified kidney dietitian. I am a nephrologist and commonly recommend a change in diet, but in order to translate that into something that my patients can understand, I recommend that they meet with a kidney dietitian. A kidney dietitian can review your chemistry and be able to relate your diet to your level of kidney function. She or he will listen to your current dietary intake and then make recommendations to modify that diet. You should ask your nephrologist for a referral to a kidney dietitian.

Doctor online

Hot Article